Be a better person

  “There are no random acts..we are all connected..you can no more separate one life from another that you can separate a breeze from the wind..” Mitch Albom

If you have never read one of Mitch’s books, I strongly suggest you do.  For me, they have a lot of meaning and as you will find, I love to quote him!!

When someone you love dies, many of your beliefs change.  I know mine did.  It is just like the quote says, there are no random acts.  I use to believe things happen for a reason, I’m not sure I believe that now.  I can’t think of any good reason why Em is not here today.  I realize that God is the almighty and knows everything about us before we were born.  He tells me that.  Do I know why Em is not here? Do I blame God? My answer is no.  I don’t know the answer to either of those questions. What I do know is that not only does God know all things, he gives each and everyone of us free will.  That is free will to make decisions.  Decisions that have rippling effects no matter how small or how large.  The doctors and nurses that took care of Em, had free will to make decisions that of course had rippling effects. The administrators that chose to restrict me from being with her, those decisions have rippling effects. Unfortunately in our case, the effects are lifelong for my family.  Effects that cannot be changed.  Sorry doesn’t take the pain away.  But their actions have pushed me to do whatever to get legislation in place that protect families during times like this.  That advocate for patient rights and protect patient rights.  So those actions of everyone at the hospital have connected me with many families who have lived through the nightmare we did.  It has also connected me with a group that is organized and has representatives that help put laws in place.

Everyone that seen Em knew how much she looked like me.  We didn’t always believe the same things, but she had the passion that I have.  That passion made her to stand up for the under dog, and never give up fighting for what is right!  I will continue to tell our story because that would be what she would have wanted.  I can hear her tell me “Momma that just not right”.  I will continue to stand for my beliefs even if I have to stand alone.  Alone is good if its right!!

I’ve said before, 5 minutes can change someone’s life.  The way we interact with others no matter how small can be life altering for that person.  A kind word of encouragement, a smile, a simple hello.  That interaction can be positive or negative.  It’s all in how you chose to react.

“To the world, you maybe one person, but to one person, you may be the world.....The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday”. Wally Richardson 

Comments

Popular Posts